The Hooters
Studio Four
WYSP-FM
Philadelphia, PA
December 6, 1983
Studio Four
WYSP-FM
Philadelphia, PA
December 6, 1983
01 Hooters, The - Amore
02 Hooters, The - All You Zombies
03 Hooters, The - Hanging On A Heartbeat
04 Hooters, The - Walkman
05 Hooters, The - Point Your Little Pinky
06 Hooters, The - You Still Belong To Me
07 Hooters, The - Scared By Science
08 Hooters, The - Words & Music
09 Hooters, The - Don't Wanna Fight
10 Hooters, The - Birdman
11 Hooters, The - Blood From A Stone
12 Hooters, The - Trouble In Paradise
13 Hooters, The - Concubine
14 Hooters, The - Fightin' On the Same Side
15 Hooters, The - Got My Own
16 Hooters, The - Man In The Street (cut off)
02 Hooters, The - All You Zombies
03 Hooters, The - Hanging On A Heartbeat
04 Hooters, The - Walkman
05 Hooters, The - Point Your Little Pinky
06 Hooters, The - You Still Belong To Me
07 Hooters, The - Scared By Science
08 Hooters, The - Words & Music
09 Hooters, The - Don't Wanna Fight
10 Hooters, The - Birdman
11 Hooters, The - Blood From A Stone
12 Hooters, The - Trouble In Paradise
13 Hooters, The - Concubine
14 Hooters, The - Fightin' On the Same Side
15 Hooters, The - Got My Own
16 Hooters, The - Man In The Street (cut off)
From the Sam Eliot's Mustache collection!
Early stuff... lots of unreleased songs here. If you're a fan of the Hooters, you'll find this tape interesting. Sound quality is pretty great for a forty year old cassette tape.
The last song ("Man In The Street") cuts off just before the end of the show, right at 59 minutes and 50 seconds. This was likely the last song. It's a cover of a Don Drummond & the Skatalites song that was a Top 10 hit in the UK in the fall of 1965.
They dedicate the song to WYSP program director Michael Picozzi.
Now...that's a pretty obscure cover. These days, here in the future where we can hear every song by saying "Alexa, play "Man In The Street" by Don Drummond" it seems like nothing...but in 1983? Who the HECK knew Don Drummond in 1983?
And yes, I just walked out into the kitchen, and said "Alexa, play Don Drummond "Man In The Street" and sure enough, the 1964 Studio Records 45 started playing. Just like that, I ask for music and I get it.
The future is both wonderful (in that everything is available) and terrible for the same reason. Being ahead of the curve...like the Hooters... isn't special anymore.
But seriously...the Hooters had interesting, diverse, and obscure influences.



This is awesome!! Thank you greatly for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI'm in! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteIt's like you read my mind, I was just looking for some hooters just yesterday!
ReplyDeletethank you for the show,remember listening to it live back then.
ReplyDeleteHmmm.......me thinks I should dig out some more Hooters shows
ReplyDeleteHey it's Cindy Lauper's backing band (sorry it's something me and an old friend would yell when Hooters came on). Saw these guys for free in Detroit around the time MTV started to notice them. They were a really good live band so looking forward to listening to this one. Thanks D-man!!
ReplyDeleteHi Draftervoi. It's Bob. Growing up in NJ, I loved these early Hooters live broadcasts. Call me bias, but I think the early live versions of these tunes are much better than the studio versions on their albums. "All You Zombies" in particular had a much better groove in their early days. They seemed to dial back their ska influences on their studio albums. And yes, it is too easy to hear whatever song you want to now. Most of the shows that we miticulously collect, catalog and verify are scattered all over Youtube in inferior quality which cheapens their value IMHO. I think we appreciate things more when we have to make an effort to hear them.
ReplyDeleteBob, I have enjoyed digging out these tapes and listening to all the Philly area bands from the beginning and then as they progressed throughout their careers. Starting rough and honing their music as they continued. I would guess a lot of the Hooters sound was changed once they signed with a major label. And producers changing them as well. The same can be said for the likes of Robert Hazard and Tommy Conwell to name a couple of others. I have found so many tapes of local bands, some I don't even remember. I have been trying to dig out the better sounding shows and sending them to Draftervoi for digitizing and posting. I am actually surprised at how many folks have like some of the lesser known bands as well.
DeleteHi, Bob! Working with our pal Sam Eliot's Mustache has opened a window into the Philly rock scene for me. Out here, the Hooters got a bit of airplay but nothing compared to back east. I see the sold out the Tower two nights in a row; here? I haven't even found that they did a club appearance (yet). I was a big fan of Two-Tone, reggae, and ska, so you'd think I would have picked up on 'em, but I missed out.
ReplyDeleteThe Sam Eliot's Mustache collection has basically been the soundtrack to my high school years. I would always tune into WYSP or WMMR whenever they would broadcast a live show. It didn't matter what the band was; I just loved hearing the excitement of these concerts. Philly rock radio was on fire in the 80s!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I have to give the win to back east here. San Francisco had one of the original great free-form FM stations in KSAN...but they went C&W in '80 and it wasn't until the late '80's that KFOG picked up the slack. We didn't get weekly shows from a local venue (except for '73 to '76 when KSAN did the "live from the Record Plant" series).
ReplyDeleteEarly free-form FM rock stations are one of my true passions. I collect as many airchecks of those stations as I can. KSAN grew out of the ashes of KMPX and it was a truly great station, especially through the first half of the 70s before consultants started reigning in the playlist. Listening to recordings of those stations now, it is amazing how many great rock songs were played on the radio back then that you never hear anymore. It's a mystery to me why you can have two equally-great songs, but one is still played to death on classic rock radio and the other is lost to obscurity.
ReplyDelete