Looking for Something?

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING??
Never Been Here Before?

Check The Right Sidebar


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Follow The Sign To Where...

Friday, November 29, 2024

Doobie Brothers - King Biscuit, Oakland, CA Dec. 30, 1978

Doobie Brothers
King Biscuit Flower Hour 
for broadcast week April 6 - April 12, 1992

Recorded at the
Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena,  
Oakland, CA
on December 30, 1978

01 Bill Minkin - KBFH Intro
02 Commercial - AT&T
03 Commercial - Yamaha
04 Commercial - Greyhound (Carl Ballantine)
05 Commercial - Drixoral
06 Bill Minkin - KBFH Segment Intro
07 Doobie Brothers - Jesus Is Just Alright
08 Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'
09 Doobie Brothers - Sweet Maxine
10 Doobie Brothers - It Keeps You Runnin'
11 Doobie Brothers - Echoes Of Love
12 Doobie Brothers - Neal's Fandango
13 Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
14 Doobie Brothers - Disciple
15 Bill Minkin - KBFH Break
16 Commercial - Drixoral
17 Commercial - Aiwa
18 Commercial - Greyhound (Carl Ballantine)
19 Commercial - Yamaha
20 Bill Minkin - KBFH Segment Intro
21 Doobie Brothers - Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me)
22 Doobie Brothers - Don't Stop To Watch The Wheels
23 Doobie Brothers - Steamer Lane Breakdown
24 Doobie Brothers - China Grove
25 Bill Minkin - KBFH Break
26 Commercial - Aiwa
27 Commercial - AT&T
28 Commercial - Yamaha
29 Commercial - Greyhound (Carl Ballantine)
30 Bill Minkin - KBFH Outro
31 Bill Minkin - KBFH Promo

Included 300 dpi scans of the disc and cue sheet, plus print ads for show.

Great Googa-Mooga!  What would Thanksgiving be without dessert?

This one isn't part of  The History of the Doobie Brothers On Westwood One, but this seems like a good time to bring it out from the kitchen.  Here's a heapin' helping of a King Biscuit CD, featuring the Doobie Brothers live from the Oakland Coliseum.  

In a personal note, I was across the Bay at Winterland that night at the Tom Petty / Greg Kihn show.  I've included a stack of advertising for this Doobies show, and it was a heck of a month, with Springsteen, Tom Petty, and the Grateful Dead all playing shows at Winterland...plus Blondie and Journey in a double bill.  Is it just me, or is that a weird pairing?

The show is up over at Concert Vault but without any additional songs, so it looks like this is all that was recorded.  It's short, at just fifty minutes.  As the band was headlining the show, I'm pretty sure that more must have been played.


On the commercials, we have Carl Ballantine, one of those "I recognize that voice..." guys you heard for decades on television, radio, commercials, and cartoons.  Originally a magician, his stage act led to roles on the popular sit-com McHale's Navy...followed by so many one-off appearances that I'm limiting this to just five of 'em...shows such as Spider-Man: The Animated Series, The Cosby Show, Night Court, Fantasy Island, and CHiPs.

Another in the ongoing King Biscuit Klone series; I think this one is #14.


8 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks so much for passing the Doobie around to us for desert. That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A " Mega" Thank you for the share! (See what I did there?) LOL. seriously - this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Ex_mixer. I'm not a big fan, but as a Bay Area guy this band was all over the radio here, and it was fun to revisit them through the live shows. I love discovering the little things, too...like that snippet of the Jefferson Airplane's "Embryonic Journey" the Doobies used as an introductory vamp to "Black Water!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. >Is it just me, or is that a weird pairing?

    That's a weird pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this. Carl Ballentine is (arguably) the greatest character actor ever. I'm grabbing this for his commercial break alone. There's a great Monkees episode with him that's worth seeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Anonymous! I'm glad someone picked up on him; I'm trying to name everyone I can on these digitizations, including the disc jockeys, announcers...and the voice actors and celebrities who handle the advertising. When I was going this show, his voice was initially a mystery; I recognized it but couldn't place it. I had no memory of the Amazing Ballentine...but a quick Google search provided the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grabbed them all D-man! This collection is going to make for a few evenings of bad ass music. Funny thing I think I have a few of them in various FM recordings. This is a big upgrade thank you!

    ReplyDelete