After the Long Ryders broke up, Metallic B.O. was compiled by Rick Gershon of the Long Ryders Fan Club and was sold by mail order. Taking its name from “Metallic K.O.” a lo-fi semi-official bootleg of a chaotic Iggy & the Stooges concert, Metallic B.O. followed in its footsteps with a ramshackle montage of audience tapes, sound-checks, radio interviews, answering machine messages, studio chatter, and Elvis Presley impersonations edited as a tribute to the passing of one of America’s great roots rock bands of the 1980s.A shorter version was re-issued twice on CD, but here’s the original cassette tape, along with scans of the j-card and cassette cases.
If you’re not familiar with the Long Ryders, this wouldn’t be a good place to start. Instead, I recommend “The Best Of The Long Ryders,” a single disc compilation that will give you a good overview of their music. Roots-rock bands of the 1980s drew inspiration from traditional American music (in their case, country) but played with a clear awareness of operating in a post-punk musical environment (hence their cover of the Sex Pistols “Anarchy In The U.K.” sitting right next to their cover of Charlie Pride’s “Is Anybody Going To San Antone?”) The Long Ryders paved the way for alt-country and Americana bands such as the Jayhawks, Wilco, and the Old 97s.
I also recommend the expanded and remastered version of their “Native Sons” album, which is also currently in print. But for dedicated fans of the band, who want to hear the original fan club release….here you go! I chaptered the multiple tracks as over fifty individual tracks, which will allow you to separate just the music should you choose to do so. But half the fun of this cassette are the interviews, particularly an argument on a call-in radio show with a Barbra Streisand fan intercut between several songs.
Flac files of wavs. 300 dpi scans included.
https://mega.co.nz/#!PZRwnSbT!KIRjbtIas009umg-KYBN6yIYmI5QfUltVK6X66TGynU



Helluva band, and this looks awesome!
ReplyDeleteSound quality is all over the place on this one. Some is almost release quality (such as the live version of I Want You Bad," some is typical audience-bootleg sound. They put a lot of work into it, editing in bits of interviews...I had a choice of following the tracks on the cassette or trying to separate each source....and I chose the latter approach.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much !!
ReplyDelete