Pre-FM from radio reel
01 Dave Cook, Ken Calvert - Intro
02 Commercial - Chevrolet Camero
03 Ken Calvert, Bruce, Gary U.S. Bonds - Interview
04 Gary U.S. Bonds - Jole Blon
05 Gary U.S. Bonds - Rendezvous
06 Gary U.S. Bonds - Soul Deep
07 Gary U.S. Bonds - Hold On (To What You Got)
08 Gary U.S. Bonds - This Little Girl
09 Commercial - Mattel M Network
10 Gary U.S. Bonds - From A Buick 6
11 Gary U.S. Bonds - Out of Work
12 Commercial - Chevrolet Camero
13 Commercial - American Express (Gatlin Brothers)
14 Gary U.S. Bonds - Angelyne
15 Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
16 Ken Calvert, Bruce, Gary U.S. Bonds - Interview
17 Commercial - Mattel M Network
18 Ken “The Casual One” Calvert - Outro
Another from the Sam Eliot's Mustache collection.
He ships 'em across the U.S.A. and I tag 'em and do a bit of research, and you get to listen to 'em.
This one is a pre-FM from the original radio reels.
I found a mention in a story about concert cancellations in the Philadelphia Inquirer of July 26, 1982 saying "In recent weeks, Atlantic City shows by the Crusaders jazz group and Gary U.S. Bonds were scrapped because of poor advance sales. (Bonds was rescheduled at South Street's Ripley Music Hall and played to a two-thirds full house)."
So this is a concert that was downsized right out of Atlantic City and moved sixty miles west to a smaller nightclub. We don't have any equivalent move here in the Bay Area; population density falls off in such a way that when you get sixty miles from San Francisco, there either aren't any night clubs with live music or there are geographical and transit barriers that limit options.
I found a couple of print ads for the show, and I included the article about the concert cancellations.
Downsized or not, this is a good show from the period where Bonds' career was revitalized through the proximity of Springsteen. And... we've got five Springsteen songs here, all of which were unreleased by him at the time. They probably came out on one of his archival dumps like "Too Many Tracks" (or whatever it was named, that four-CD set from the late 90s...) but I'm too lazy to check.
On the American Express "who am I" ad where you have to guess the singer, it's the Gatlin Brothers. Yeah, I know, I should have given a spoiler alert.
Anyway... happy holidays from Đ®åⒻṬëŕṽøï to all of Our Beloved Readers, and keep an eye on this space, I've got a few more of Sam's pre-FM Captured Live! shows coming in the next week.



Yes!! Sam Eliot's Mustache strikes again! Thank you D-man! Ken Calvert worked in Detroit radio for some time on Detroit's 1st FM station WRIF 101 FM. They actually had the station when it was an illegal FM station. It was kept in a mobile home and it would move around when they thought the feds were getting close (or when ever the paranoia hit). Ken Calvert used to do a lot of the public events like the annual Halloween party. Somewhere around here I have a picture of him sitting on the floor wearing his dog costume backwards so the long tail was in front. Thanks for the US Bonds.
ReplyDeleteJustDave
Pre-Fm shows are much appreciated! Thanks for the Vintage Gary US Bonds! And as always love the commercials!
ReplyDeleteworked this show as well but the encore "Quarter To #" is missing.
ReplyDeleteoops quarter to three
ReplyDeletewas his big hit in 1961