Recorded at:
Mann Music Center
Philadelphia, PA
June 26, 1982
Pre-FM from radio reel
01 Dave Cook, Mark Parenteau - Intro
02 Commercial - Chevrolet Camero
03 Mark Parenteau, Bruce, Split Enz - Interview
04 Split Enz - Six Months In A Leaky Boat
05 Split Enz - Small World
06 Split Enz - Giant Heartbeat
07 Split Enz - History Never Repeats
08 Commercial - Mattel M Network
09 Split Enz - Hello Sandy Allen
10 Split Enz - Never Ceases To Amaze Me
11 Split Enz - Dirty Creatures
12 Commercial - Chevrolet Camero
13 Commercial - American Express (Gladys Knight & the Pips)
14 Split Enz - I Got You
15 Split Enz - Shark Attack
16 Split Enz - Interview
17 Commercial - Mattel M Network
18 Mark Parenteau - Outro
Another from the Sam Eliot's Mustache collection!
The article from the Philadelphia Daily News says the Splitz Enz set was from "the most exciting rock show of the season...."P.O.P. '82, starting tomorrow afternoon at the Mann Music Center."
That was a quadruple bill, with Squeeze, Split Enz, Madness... and Duran Duran as the opening act. I have no idea what the P.O.P. acronym stood for. If you've got the answer, please leave a comment.



Nice one! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDeleteWhen I worked in my local Record (morphing into a CD) Shop back in the day, P.O.P. stood for "Point of Purchase" (promotional materials: posters, buttons, stickers, mobiles, etc. promoting the release of a specific Lp/CD. I sense that the listing above may be more about purchasing tickets at Mann Music Center. Or MMC is your sole "place/point of purchase" for tickets... Muddy Mike
ReplyDeleteUpon further review, you've included the local newspaper review of the show and they reference it as part of the "POP 82" concert series... Oh well, we tried... Muddy Mike
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, hello to Muddy Mike! Thanks to you for taking the time to pitch in on the discussion. We're tossin' around ideas and theories about the past; we're often going to be wrong. Feel free to say, "Hey Đ®åⒻṬëŕṽøï, tell us about your first marriage, Einstein!" "P.O.P. '82" is a mystery for now, but we'll eventually figure it out. :)
ReplyDeleteDid you search the local newspapers? I got a google hit on newspapers.com, although it didn't provide much more info. I'm guessing it was some sort of local Philly mini-festival. Pretty wild to see DD opening for Split Enz.
DeleteHi, Rudolf...I searched, but for the ad for the show at Mann. I took your suggestion and searched for "Pop '82" and found a review of the show, and a couple of other related blurbs...but still nothing about what "P.O.P." stood for. I've updated the download with the additional press coverage, so thank you for your great suggestion!
DeleteOh well, I doubt it's anything life-altering. Probably "Something of Philadephia".
DeleteLike, cool post, man. ty
ReplyDeleteP.O.P. acronym? I'll venture a wild guess- on this page - they mention " Premier Outdoor Performing" - is that the POP in question ? https://manncenter.org/history
ReplyDeleteThat might be connected!
Delete