Looking for Something?

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING??
Never Been Here Before?

Check The Right Sidebar


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Follow The Sign To Where...

Monday, December 30, 2024

Squeeze / Captured Live! 25 - Orpheum Theater, Boston, MA June 19, 1982

Squeeze
Captured Live! 25
unknown broadcast date

Pre-FM from radio reel

Recorded at:
Orpheum Theater
Boston, MA
June 19, 1982

01 Dave Cook, Mark Parenteau - Intro
02 Commercial - Chevrolet Camero
03 Mark Parenteau, Bruce, Squeeze - Interview
04 Squeeze - Black Coffee In Bed
05 Squeeze - Another Nail In My Heart
06 Squeeze - Mumbo Jumbo
07 Squeeze - If I Didn't Love You
08 Squeeze - I've Returned
09 Squeeze - Messed Around
10 Squeeze - I Can't Hold On
11 Squeeze - Tears Of A Clown
12 Commercial - Mattel M Network
13 Squeeze - Time Is Tight
14 Squeeze - In Quintessence
15 Squeeze - Pulling Mussels From The Shell
16 Commercial - Chevrolet Camero
17 Commercial - American Express (Gladys Knight & the Pips)
18 Squeeze - Tempted
19 Squeeze - Take Me I'm Yours
20 Bruce - Interview
21 Commercial - Mattel M Network
22 Mark Parenteau - Outro

Another gem from the Sam Eliot's Mustache archives!   Once again, this is from a pre-FM reel to reel radio station tape.

I found a newspaper review from the Boston Globe, wherein the reviewer compared them to "a smarter REO Speedwagon," and a peeved "Letter To The Editor" reply that took umbrage at such a comparison.

The American Express "Do You Know Me" commercial features Gladys Knight and the ever Fabulous Pips. 

If I were to have a dream job, I'd be a one of the Pips!  "Woo woo!  Live in his world!  Her world is his, his and hers alone...." Left left right, step back, turn around...uh...

---

But I digress.  The show sounds great. If I were to venture a criticism, I would prefer more Squeeze originals in lieu of the covers of "Tears of a Clown" and "Time Is Tight."  That being said, they're both perfectly good covers.  They do rush the tempos a bit but it was the punk/post punk era, we played fast back then.  

So!  Voodoo gang!  Step back in time 42 years and enjoy....SQUEEZE!

7 comments:

  1. English new wave groups introduced me to more soul songs than any American radio station ever did. For years I thought The English Beat wrote "Tears of a Clown" and The Clash wrote "Time Is Tight." I still prefer The Clash's version to the original. This Squeeze version of "Time Is Tight" seems to cop a lick from Elvis Costello's "Hand in Hand", or perhaps Elvis copped the lick from Steve Cropper.

    BTW, when is that JCM Dallas show coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, listening now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rudolf! I have the discs here but have not digitized them yet. I'll try to get started this week, so maybe within the month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have always loved this band, in all of their iterations. Glenn Tilbrook's voice still going strong at 66! - check out this clip from Daryl's House - skip ahead 2 minutes for the song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV09rq5CzDw

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember working this show. For those that don't know The Orpheum's entrance is down a long alleyway, so we would pull the recording truck in there and run the lines out from the stage, up the main aisle and out to the truck. We did a few shows there I believe we did a Gary Neuman show there as well.

    ReplyDelete