Recorded at:
J.F.K. Stadium
June 4, 1983
Philadelphia, PA
Sides 1, 2, and 3:
01 David Perry - WW1 SS 83-10 Intro
02 Commercial - Sprite
03 Journey - Chain Reaction
04 Journey - Wheel In The Sky
05 Journey - Line Of Fire
06 Commercial - Sprite
07 David Perry - WW1 SS 83-10 Break
08 Commercial - Sprite
09 Journey - Send Her My Love
10 Journey - Still They Ride
11 Journey - Open Arms
12 Commercial - Sprite
13 David Perry - WW1 SS 83-10 Break
14 Journey - Edge Of The Blade
15 Journey - Escape
16 Commercial - Sprite
17 David Perry - WW1 SS 83-10 Break
Sides 4, 5, and 6:
01 Commercial - Coke
02 Journey - After The Fall
03 Journey - Faithfully
04 Commercial - Coke
05 David Perry - WW1 SS 83-10 Break
06 Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
07 Journey - Stone In Love
08 Journey - Keep On Runnin'
09 Commercial - Coke
10 David Perry - WW1 SS 83-10 Break
11 Journey - Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
12 Journey - Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
13 David Perry - WW1 SS 83-10 Outro
14 Commercial - Coke
15 Journey - WW1 SS 83-10 Promo
Runout grooves:
SSCS-83-10-SEG-1
SSCS-83-10-SEG-2
SSCS-83-10-SEG-3
SSCS-83-10-SEG-4
SSCS-83-10-SEG-5
SSCS-83-10-SEG-6
Brought to you by the Collective For Live Music ("the CFLM")
ĐR̃äⒻṬëŕṽöï digitized in March of 2026
Our pal Sam Eliot's Mustache was in the audience at this concert and says,
"Briefly... JFK Stadium was built in 1926 I believe. Was named something else before being renamed in 1964 to JFK Stadium after the late John F Kennedy. Was home to countless Philadelphia football leagues and franchises: Philadelphia Quakers, Frankfort Yellow Jackets, and the Philadelphia Eagles. The first and only CFL game was played here. College football/s Liberty Bell bowl game was played here. And of course, the annual Army/Navy game was played here as well.
The Rolling Stones held concerts here in '78 & '81. Frampton appeared here twice within 8 months, Yes, Pink Floyd, the Who & U2. Countless all day concerts were held here as well. And of course Live Aid 1985 and Amnesty International in 1988. Max capacity was roughly 100,000.
Now memory is slightly hazy here on some aspects but others I do remember. Journey headlined here on June 4, 1983. Also on the bill: Bryan Adams opened fresh off of his Cuts Like An Knife album. The Tubes followed and basically was lost. Their stage show was lost on the crowd, as I heard quite a few boos (but not the most). The Completion Backwards Project really didn't play well for an outside stadium show. Next, Sammy Hagar....tore it up as always, as he was touring with the Three Lock Box album. Now it was pretty hot, so we were getting pretty cooked, so when rain showed up for the next act, John Cougar, it was much needed. And frankly he sucked....and the Philly Boo-Birds let him know it. But by that point, they really were wanting Journey. The only cheer he got was when he finished his set. As far as I was concerned, Sammy and Cougar slots should have been switched...but then again what do I know! Finally.....Journey. Now they were really good. And for an outdoor show, very clear sounding. Schon's guitar was just soaring and Steve Perry engaged us all."
==============
I found an article in the January 22, 1983 issue of Billboard announcing a major expansion of Westwood One's programming. Already producing the live concert series In Concert (Rock), Live From Gilley's (Country), and the Budweiser Concert of the Month (R&B), Westwood One added five new shows, one of which was the Superstar Concert series.
"Superstar Concert" was a 10 concert summer series, sponsored by the Coca-Cola Company. Behind the scenes, the deal with Coke moved the company's sponsorship away from the ABC Radio Networks' "Super Groups In Concert" to the new Superstar Concert series. Coca-Cola and Sprite were the only products advertised on the show during this first season.
The Journey show was the finale of Westwood One's first season of "Superstar Concert" shows. The show aired on more than 400 U.S. radio stations and
had a record breaking 36.9 share of adults aged 18-24.
There were no show numbers on the cue sheet or the record labels, but there were runout groove etchings. The Journey show is etched "83-10" and it's the tenth show of the summer, so it makes sense that the shows were numbered 83-1, 83-2, 83-3, etc.
However, we also have the Men At Work show in our archives, and it does not have this numbering system. That show has the run date in the etching: SSCS-SEG-1-7-22-83 (it runs SEG-1, SEG-2, etc. for each side).
I also have a copy of the Stray Cats show, and it's got the show number instead of the run date, too.
The first season of Westwood One's Superstar Concert series:
83- 07/01/83 Rod Stewart
83- 07/09/83 Styx
83- 07/15/83 REO Speedwagon
83- 07/22/83 Men At Work
83- 07/29/83 Genesis
83- 08/05/83 Sammy Hagar/Quarterflash
83-7 08/12/83 Stray Cats
83- 08/19/83 Fleetwood Mac
83- 08/26/83 Loverboy
83-10 09/02/83 Journey
I've included a shot of a spreadsheet with what I know about the Westwood One Superstar Concert shows featuring Journey. This JFK show was broadcast again in 1984, with one additional song added ("No More Lies"). There's an unknown show we haven't acquired (yet) from later in 1984 that has the same songs but a seriously reworked running order; it may be the JFK tracks...or may be a unique show from another source. Songs from a 1983 Oklahoma show were syndicated in 1985, and then again in 2000...but with additional songs added and songs left out. There were also three shows from a 1986 Philadelphia concert with the same set list for all three syndications.
Also... I will be posting the second broadcast of the JFK tracks...that's 84-6 on the handy-dandy chart up there... the show with the additional track... on my next post. So STAY TUNED TO THE VOODOO WAGON!







My first exposure to Journey was right when Infinity came out and it blew me away! I jumped onto Evolution and Departure as well and ate them up. Fortunately I got to see them in 1980, which was fantastic. I did really like Escape, and saw them again in 1982 but the slower songs didn't register with me like those on the prior three albums. I also went back into their first 3 albums, before Perry and really enjoyed those as well. But when Frontiers was released they lost me. I've seen them 3 more times in more recent years, post Perry but I find myself suffering through the slow hits to enjoy some of the old classics. But they're still a great band. We'll have to see if the current farewell tour is truly their last. Thanks so much for this one DV!
ReplyDeleteHey, Gman...I first heard about Journey from my mom, of all people...as she was not a rock music fan and pretty much hated anything recorded after 1955. She was working at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek...and George Tickner...the guitarist on the first Journey LP... was working there as an intern. He left the band after the first album to be a doctor (not a bad choice, given that the medical career was a sure thing. I just noticted that Tickner passed away in 2023....I will have to mention that to my mom, who is now 102 1/2. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, she knew about the band from the beginning; that would have been around 1975. Journey was a very interesting band at the beginning, much more progressive. I was sad when Gregg left the band, I've always loved his voice. I do have 2 or 3 boot from his solo concerts from 2005 or 2006, if you're interested.
DeleteThank you draftervoi!
ReplyDelete