John Mellencamp
The Timothy White Sessions
Show #91-48 for broadcast the week of November 25, 1991
Recorded at Studio East, 5457 Monroe Road, Charlotte, North Carolina, on November 3, 1991.
Distibution for "Rock Stars" was handled by Radio Today Entertainment until December 1988. In 1988, there were also shows branded as "Timothy White's Rock Stars" but distributed by Westwood One. The Westwood One version continued until at least 1997. The shows only turn up on Ebay once in a great while.
The Timothy White Sessions
Show #91-48 for broadcast the week of November 25, 1991
Recorded at Studio East, 5457 Monroe Road, Charlotte, North Carolina, on November 3, 1991.
Distibution for "Rock Stars" was handled by Radio Today Entertainment until December 1988. In 1988, there were also shows branded as "Timothy White's Rock Stars" but distributed by Westwood One. The Westwood One version continued until at least 1997. The shows only turn up on Ebay once in a great while.
This particular show featured a mix of live in the studio tracks, B-sides, album tracks, and an outtake ("Carolina Shag") that remains unreleased to this day (as far as I know...).
This is extracted from the 2-cd syndicated radio discs, and comes with a
cue sheet.
cue sheet.



Thanks for this. Lots of album cuts from Whenever We Wanted.
ReplyDeleteTracklist for the curious:
01. Introduction
02. Get a Leg Up (live)
03. Interview
04. Carolina Shag (unreleased)
05. Interview
06. Again Tonight (live)
07. Interview
08. Now More Than Ever (released version)
09. Love and Happiness (released version)
10. Interview
11. Do Re Mi (released version, from Folkways: A Vision Shared--A Tribute to Woody Guthrie & Leadbelly)
12. Interview
13. Country Gentleman (released version)
14. Melting Pot (released version)
15. Break
16. Under the Boardwalk (B-side, released version)
17. Interview
18. Shama Lama Ding Dong (B-side, released version)
19. Let It All Hang Out (released version)
20. Seventh Son (B-side, released version)
21. Interview
22. Cherry Bomb (live)
23. Last Chance (released version)
24. Break
25. Crazy Ones (released version)
26. Interview
27. They're So Tough (released version)
28. Interview
29. Whenever We Wanted (released version)
30. Break
31. Cold Sweat (live)
32. Interview and outro
33. Promo 1
34. Promo 2
35. Promo 3
36. Promo 4
37. Promo 5
38. Promo 6
In the track after "Seventh Son" TW mentions a TW Session with JM in 1989 titled 'Playing Chess', recorded at Chess studios. I'd never heard of that one before.
ReplyDeleteHi, Rudolf Schmidt! I've never heard (or seen) a listing for that third "Rock Stars" show, but it's real...check out this page which has a promo poster advertising the show: http://sr-71.defcon1.org/~mellencamp/Memorabilia/Tour_Items/tour_items.html
ReplyDeleteSo...a Wednesday May 31 broadcast makes that 1989. I'm pretty sure White had switched to Westwood One by that time, as I've seen 2-lp sets from '89 with numbers like 89-A, 89-B, 89-C...up to 89-L. I've only identified a few of them, so it's likely that Mellencamp "Playing Chess" is one of those. What's intriguing is that I have never run across this before, and was unaware until you mentioned it. I now see that several tracks in his discography were recorded at Chess in May 1989 (including the B-side Seventh Son, which is on this broadcast). Anyway...you've given us a new Rock n' Roll Mystery: WHO HAS MELLENCAMP'S PLAYING CHESS SPECIAL? There must be someone in the our Vast Beloved Audience who can shed some light on this!
ReplyDeleteAny ideas about this? https://www.discogs.com/release/6600004-John-Mellencamp-The-Garage-Tapes-Live-in-The-Studio It says it was recorded at "The Garage, Belmont Mall, Belmont, IN" and thanks the Album Network for the use of live tracks and interview. Is it one of Timothy White's sessions?
ReplyDeleteHi, Rudolf.... I don't know, but it could be from Timothy White's Rock Stars. I've seen listings for that show all the way until 1997.
ReplyDeleteI just initiated a search on Ebay for this show and if I can track it down at a reasonable price, I'll buy it and post it. I only see a Canadian release, which strikes me as odd...I would think it would have been released in the USA, too. Discogs is incomplete, though.
On further thought, I don't think the Album Network carried White's show. I went to www.worldradiohistory.com and ran a search for "garage tapes" and didn't find any results. I will continue to Scooby-Doo this, though, I sent an email to some of our behind-the-scenes investigative staff to see if they can shed light on it.
ReplyDeleteHey, Rudolf...check this out...it looks like it was bootlegged, and I think I may have a copy of it somewhere...I'll check tonight: https://www.discogs.com/release/5049200-John-Cougar-Mellencamp-Johns-Garage-Tape
ReplyDeleteAlbum Network made the "In the Studio" shows but they didn't appear to include live tracks. For example, there's one currently on ebay if you search "John Cougar Mellencamp Big Daddy "In The Studio" Radio Show # 54 - 7/3/89"
ReplyDeleteOK, I think I've figured it out. I don't know what rubric the show was presented under but it was a Redbeard production. He's posted 5 tracks from the show here: https://www.inthestudio.net/?s=mellencamp . The show was taped in Dec. 1991 and broadcast in early Jan. 1992 as JM and band rehearsing for his upcoming tour. I found a boot of the FM b'cast on Soulseek. I also downloaded a copy of the _Welcome to the Garage_ boot. It isn't compressed, so unless they applied some very creative remastering it came from a legit source. However, _The Garage Tapes Live in The Studio_ omits "Again Tonight", which the b'cast includes, which means the boot used a different source.
ReplyDeleteThe last two tracks on _The Garage Tapes Live in The Studio_, "Small Town" and "Pink Houses" are not from the rehearsal session. They are live acoustic performances at Q102 Dallas with Redbeard in 1991. They can be found at the link above.
I can post the FM boot if you like.
Hi, Rudolph
ReplyDeleteYes, please post the link to the boot of the FM you found on Soulseek, and thank you for the link to the Redbeard site. There is a LOT there to explore!
So...here's what we think we know:
The Garage Tapes Live In The Studio was hosted by Q102 Houston's Redbeard. He was also the host of In The Studio. This "Garage Tapes" show was distributed by the Album Network and officially issued as a promo in Canada.
There are several bootlegs on Discogs, including "John's Garage Tape (Unbelievable Music UM 002) and Live Rehearsals (Kiss The Stone KTS 090). These include 11 tracks from the show, plus two acoustic songs from Redbeard's station on, and two tracks from the 1982 KBFH show. A third bootleg Welcome To The Garage (Beech Marten Records BM 068) has the Garage songs plus the two acoustic studio tracks but drops the KBFH tracks and replaces it with a live version of "Like A Rolling Stone" recorded in 1988.
The two acoustic songs did not have an identified source on any of bootlegs; it appears you've uncovered that the source was Redbeard's show (I haven't played them yet and have to drag out my bootleg to compare). That's great work, Rudolf! You are hereby awarded a Voodoo Wagon No-Prize, which I'll be posting later today! If you drop the link before then, I'll include it in an actual post!
The live version of "Like a Rolling Stone" recorded in 1988 was also tacked on to the end of the FM broadcast, which suggests it too was a Redbeard production. Unfortunately, he didn't identify the source.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi, Rudolf! I downloaded the files and yes, it runs fast. I have never done it before but I'm going to try and change the speed to lower the pitch in Audacity.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete