Looking for Something?

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING??
Never Been Here Before?

Check The Right Sidebar


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Follow The Sign To Where...

Thursday, June 20, 2024

John Eddie / Empire Rock Club, Philadelphia, PA Sept. 23, 1983 WMMR-FM

John Eddie
& the Front Street Runners
with the West End Horns
Empire Rock Club
September 23, 1983
WMMR-FM

01 John Eddie - Payday
02 John Eddie - Hard Cold Truth
03 John Eddie - All Dolled Up
04 John Eddie - Dead Ends
05 John Eddie - WMMR-FM Station ID
06 John Eddie - She's Sure The Girl I Love
07 John Eddie - Pretty As Sin
08 John Eddie - WMMR-FM Station ID
09 John Eddie - Hunting Season
10 John Eddie - Jungle Boy
11 John Eddie - Cool Walk
12 John Eddie - Be Bop A Lula
13 John Eddie - Justine
14 John Eddie - WMMR-FM encore break
15 John Eddie - I Want A Kiss
16 John Eddie - Reelin' and Rockin'

Date confirmed by a newspaper listing.

There's a lot of unreleased songs on this broadcast. Eddie was two years away from getting a contract with Columbia. The only songs from his first album in 1986 are "Cool Walk" and "Jungle Boy," and from his second album you get "Payday."

"Justine" is a cover of the song by the Righteous Brothers.  Known primarily for their lushly produced ballads, the Righteous Brothers rocked out on several less well-known numbers. Springsteen used to cover "Little Latin Lupe Lu."  Given Bruce's obvious influence on Eddie's songwriting and stagecraft, it's not likely to be a coincidence that he dug into the Righteous Brothers back catalog.

This one comes courtesy of our pal, Sam Elliot's Mustache, who just shipped me another box of tapes to digitize. It's going to be a WMMR-FM sort of summer! 




5 comments:

  1. thanks for the John Eddie, saw him tons of times around this time at the Pony and other places on the Jersey Shore. Dude is living in Nashville area, writing music, plays the odd show in the region, never down here in ATL. He had a big show last night opening a music festival on the Wildwood beach,

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks,remember listening to those mmr broadcasts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rugbylad...yeah, he's one of those hot club acts that didn't get time to develop as an artist. What would we think of Springsteen if he only got to do those first two albums? Around here, we had Greg Kihn...he took six albums before the Break-Up song finally went into the Top 40.

    As a West Coast guy, Eddie is unknown to me. I checked to see if I could find a newspaper ad for an appearance out and there's nothing, no ads, no reviews...so I don't think he made it out to L.A. or S.F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This rings a bell. will check it out, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome! Thanks man. I grew up in Jersey, and I never missed these live WMMR live broadcasts. Who knew I'd get to relive them again 40 years later?!!

    ReplyDelete