Looking for Something?

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING??
Never Been Here Before?

Check The Right Sidebar


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Follow The Sign To Where...

Saturday, December 25, 2021

Boz Scaggs / Radio City Music Hall, NY Nov. 26, 1980 - King Biscuit #361

Boz Scaggs
Radio City Music Hall
King Biscuit Flower Hour show #KB 361 (scratched on the run out groove)
for broadcast on April 5, 1981 (NOT the date the show was recorded...)
Recorded November 26, 1980

01.  KBFH Intro - Bill Minkin
02.  Commercial - 1981 Hondas
03.  Breakdown Dead Ahead
04.  What Can I Say
05.  Hard Times
06.  You Got Some Imagination
07.  KBFH break - Bill Minkin
08.  Commercial - Pioneer
09.  KBFH break - Bill Minkin
10.  Georgia
11.  Jump Street
12.  Lido Shuffle
13.  KBFH break - Bill Minkin
14.  Commercial - Miller Beer (Dave Mason)
15.  Commercial - $100,000 Bar
16.  KBFH break - Bill Minkin
17.  Middle Man
18.  Lowdown
19.  KBFH outro - Bill Minkin
20.  Commercial - Honda
21.  Commercial - Pioneer
22.  KBFH credits - Bill Minkin
23.  KBFH Boz Scaggs promo bed
24.  KBFH Boz Scaggs promo ad

Originally digitized in 2013.  This version was declicked a second time in December 2021, the files were retagged, and liner notes updated.  As of August 2023, I added the cue sheets to the download.

The broadcast date printed on the KBFH syndicated discs says April 5, 1981.  This date often shows on the Internet as the date of the concert, but I think that's in error.  Wolfgang's Vault has the show up with the April date, which perpetuates the mistake.  KBFH records the shows well in advance of the broadcast date.  KBFH did not record the show, press up the records, and distribute them to hundreds of radio stations on the same day as the show.

Setlists.com also lists the April 5 date, but there are no other concerts near it, except for an appearance at the Bammies (Bay Area Music Awards).  Boz was not on tour in 1980, and it's not likely he would have done a single stand-alone show in New York City just for this broadcast.

The show was recorded on November 26, 1980.  I've included a ticket stub from the November show, plus a newspaper listing.

The streaming audio version does NOT include "Middle Man," which was on the original broadcast discs.

I cleaned the discs with Titebond II wood glue and then went through it on Audacity and declicked the show. I went through the files a second time in December 2021 and did some more clean-up.  The sound quality is top-notch, the drums really snap, the two background vocalists are well-defined.

I've tracked all the commercials and KBFH breaks so they can be left out if they're of no interest. 

There's one "star turn" where Dave Mason does a pretty heartwarming commercial for Miller Beer that may be of interest to Dave Mason completists. He really "sells" the commercial.

Flac files of wavs; unfortunately, there was no cue sheet.  I've included a 300 dpi scan of the disc label and a copy of a ticket to the November show.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jobe. The improvement is marginal on the sound....these days I'm also working harder on the file tagging, adding in the composers, venues, etc.

    ReplyDelete