"The Hall and Oates Concert"
NBC The Source
air date: July 31, August 1 - 2, 1981
Recorded at:
The Ritz
New York City, NY
December 10, 1980
(see notes below regarding the date)
01 John McGann - NBC The Source Intro
02 Commercial - Coca-Cola (Have A Coke And A Smile)
03 Hall & Oates - How Does It Feel To Be Back
04 Hall & Oates - Diddy Doo Wop (I Hear the Voices)
05 Hall & Oates - Rich Girl
06 Hall & Oates - She's Gone
07 Commercial - Coca-Cola (Have A Coke And A Smile)
08 Hall & Oates - Sacred Songs
09 Hall & Oates - Gotta Lotta Nerve (Perfect Perfect)
10 Hall & Oates - Sweet Soul Music
11 Commercial - Coca-Cola (Have A Coke And A Smile)
12 Hall & Oates - Sara Smile
13 Hall & Oates - Wait For Me
14 Hall & Oates - Back Together Again
15 Commercial - Coca-Cola (Have A Coke And A Smile)
16 Hall & Oates - Kiss On My List
17 Hall & Oates - Do What You Want, Be What You Are
18 Hall & Oates - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
19 Commercial - Coca-Cola (Have A Coke And A Smile)
20 Hall & Oates - United State
21 Hall & Oates - Intravino
22 Commercial - Coca-Cola (Have A Coke And A Smile)
23 John McGann - NBC The Source Outro
Run-out grooves:
ACH CM V47932-1 07061
ACH CM V47932-2 07061
ACH CM V47932-3 07061
ACH CM V47932-4 07061
On track 23 John McGann - NBC The Source Outro, the announcer says "Hall and Oates was recorded live at the Ritz in New York City, December 9th, 1980 by EDR Media..."
You would think that would be it, right? A clear declarative sentence as to the date of the show by the people who recorded it ought to settle the date of the show, once and for all.
But we give you an extra effort here at VW. So I check Setlist.fm, and they have a H&O show at the Ritz, but on Dec. 10. No show is listed on the 9th.
Well, Setlist.fm has been wrong before (remember the Billy Squier dating error...), so we have to fire up the Mystery Machine and Scooby-Doo this mess.
The Daryl Hall and John Oates German Website lists the show as "12/10/1980 The Ritz."
When have the Germans ever been wrong?
Hmm...best not bring that up...so while it's helpful, it's not proof. It's just one more website making a claim.
Plus... could Hall & Oates have played TWO nights at the Ritz, on the 9th AND the 10th?
So it's off to Newspapers com, where I find a Newsday event calendar from Sunday, December 7 that lists a single show (not two nights) with the lone show on Wednesday. The Wednesday in December 1982 that falls after that Sunday was on December 10.
My inner Sherlock Holmes says: there was ONE show, on the 10th, and the announcer is WRONG.
....and now that we have the OTHER Source broadcast of this show, we know the original broadcast said this concert was from October 10th. They had it right the first time.
I run a Google Image search for a ticket...and BINGO! I don't find a ticket, but I find a print ad showing PRINCE played at the Ritz on the 9th, and Hall & Oates on the 10th. There were NOT two shows on consecutive nights, and we have physical evidence, not just the word of a website.
You get: flac files of wavs, digitized directly from the original syndicated radio 2-LP set. A low-resolution cue sheet downloaded from Discogs (sorry!), plus newspaper and print ad documentation proving my thesis that December 10th is the date.
The same tracks were syndicated as NBC The Source (no label number, but run out grooves of CMV 47694) "Hall & Oates Concert" with a broadcast window of February 20-21-22, 1981. Note the February version is "Hall & Oates Concert" while this version is "The Hall and Oates Concert."



Thanks drafti. I have always loved the song, I Hear The Voices
ReplyDeleteThat was one I wasn't familiar with, but it made an immediate impression on me when I was digitizing this show. I have a taste for 1950's doo-wop music. It was before my time, but I love the style. Dip-dip-dip-dip, boom-boom-boom-boom, sha-dooby-doo, sh-boom...etc. Love it!
DeleteAs has become routine, I must report I have issues playing this, as with others, in VLC. :'(
ReplyDelete