*THANKS TO THOSE WHO SHARE
OK, I don't know a lot about this release at all. I'm sure there is a Bowie aficionado who can clue me in on this, now whether they leave a comment or not remains to be seen. Apparently RCA was doing some kind of radio series showcasing their acts. But in this case RCA didn't have a lot of major acts. So maybe there are a grand total of 3 in this series as I can only think of 2 other artists that were making any money for RCA on the charts. That would be Lou Reed and The Scorpions (when they were good) So I would think this is a very limited series. Now if I can find that Lou and Scorps. See scans




I'm not a Bowie completist, but I love a mystery...so the first thing that came up from a search was NOTHING over on Discogs...but then I found a YouTube that has some of this music and says ("claims"...I will try and verify...) "15 minute RCA Records broadcast segments Aired on College radio in 1979 - Produced and Distributed by "Thirsty Ear"" It also identifies distribution as "reel to reel".
ReplyDeleteYeah drafti that's how I found it too. But I'll be damned if I can find out anymore about it than that
ReplyDeleteHey, Jobe, I'm home sick today so I'll see if I can find anything in Billboard back issues. I've only seen "Thirsty Ear" tapes twice on Ebay: a "Son of Stiff Radio Tour" in December 1980, and a Thirsty Ear Concert series Concert Series Featuring Vintage Talking Heads (it was a rebroadcast of one of the '78 shows, both were reel-to-reel distribution.
ReplyDeleteLater on...I can see on Discogs that Thirsty Ear distributed "sampler" shows (Snickers New Music Search, Campus Voice Encounter...) and became a real record label. This early period '78 to '82 is a syndicated mystery....
Yeah drafti I copied this from those reel tapes on youtube, then tagged and converted to a zipfile (took forever) researched the hell out of trying to find out something about it but came up with nothing. Hey since you like mysteries maybe you can help with this I downloaded this years ago and can't find out who the artists are. Their trying to sound like The Stones but I don't know who this is. Any help?
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/KUrv66Rb4bY
Stick Up? That's what I get from Shazam.
DeleteI'll get on the case, Jobe! In the meantime, I found this about Thirsty Ear....they did a Bowie show in 1980, it's likely to be the one you've posted (good work, btw...)
ReplyDeleteFrom Billboard Magazine, December 13, 1980:
"The college division of the nationally syndicated "Thirsty Ear" show is presenting "Son of Stiff Radio Tour '80" and Ziggurat over a national college network of more than 75 stations."
Airing Wednesday Through Friday, "The Son of Stiff Radio Trou" is produced in conjunction with the Son Of Stiff World Tour '80 which is appearing in cities in the Northeast.
Acts featured on both the radio program and the tour are Any Trouble, Dirty Looks, Joe "King" Carrasco, Equators, and Ten Pole Tudor.
(skipped stuff about promo materials...)
Ziggurat, a Georgia Band, is scheduled for Dec. 11-13.
Earlier this year, "Thirsty Ear" featured David Bowie, Hall & Oates, Bruce Cockburn, Polyrock, and Ellen Shipley.
"Thirsty Ear" also has a syndicated show on AOR stations throughout the U.S.
Hey, Jobe...well, I've got nothing. First of all, yeah, they are VERY "Rolling Stones" but I came up with a blank. That first song is likely named "Restless Child" but a deep dive on Discogs came up blank. Well, not exactly blank as I had to go listen to songs with that title by Raven, the Ronski Gang...and a few I'm still trying to track down. I really like the songs, too...it's a top notch Stones sound....
ReplyDeleteMe neither, nada, zilch, not a thing . . . mind you it IS highly listenable and more of a documentary broadcast than a full bootleg as ROIOs go it is and shall remain fascinating with the quotes seemingly from some interview, huh? Thanks so much BTW!
ReplyDeletehttp://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/106327
ReplyDeleteYeah there's a thirsty ear version of the police at the diplomat hotel, new york 1979 which smacks all circulating versions of the fm broadcast out of the park.
ReplyDeleteThat Billboard blurb helps explain the rarity; few people these days have a reel to reel; and a mere 75 stations means very few copies were produced. Even fewer would survive the following forty years....
ReplyDeleteI hope a simple thank yu will suffice!
ReplyDelete