![]() |
| Print ad. Hey! Carmine Appice! |
NBC The Source NBC 82-37
Broadcast date: October 15, 16, 17, 1982
recorded at:
Cobo Hall
Detroit, MI
September 3, 1982
01 George Taylor Morris - NBC The Source NBC 82-37 Intro
02 Ted Nugent - Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
03 Ted Nugent - Dog Eat Dog
04 Ted Nugent - We're Gonna Rock Tonight
05 George Taylor Morris - NBC The Source NBC 82-37 Break
06 Commercial - Budweiser (George Thorogood)
07 Commercial - Levi's
08 Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
09 Ted Nugent - No, No, No
10 Ted Nugent - Fightin' Words
11 Commercial - Levi's
12 Commercial - Atari
13 Ted Nugent - Bound And Gagged
14 Ted Nugent - Good and Ready
15 Ted Nugent - Free-for-All
16 Ted Nugent - Hey Baby
17 Commercial - Budweiser (Leon Redbone)
18 Commercial - Atari
19 Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
20 George Taylor Morris - NBC The Source NBC 82-37 Break
21 Commercial - Levi's
22 Commercial - Budweiser (blues)
23 Ted Nugent - Wango Tango
24 George Taylor Morris - NBC The Source NBC 82-37 Outro
02 Ted Nugent - Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
03 Ted Nugent - Dog Eat Dog
04 Ted Nugent - We're Gonna Rock Tonight
05 George Taylor Morris - NBC The Source NBC 82-37 Break
06 Commercial - Budweiser (George Thorogood)
07 Commercial - Levi's
08 Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
09 Ted Nugent - No, No, No
10 Ted Nugent - Fightin' Words
11 Commercial - Levi's
12 Commercial - Atari
13 Ted Nugent - Bound And Gagged
14 Ted Nugent - Good and Ready
15 Ted Nugent - Free-for-All
16 Ted Nugent - Hey Baby
17 Commercial - Budweiser (Leon Redbone)
18 Commercial - Atari
19 Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
20 George Taylor Morris - NBC The Source NBC 82-37 Break
21 Commercial - Levi's
22 Commercial - Budweiser (blues)
23 Ted Nugent - Wango Tango
24 George Taylor Morris - NBC The Source NBC 82-37 Outro
Flac files of wavs. Includes a print ad and newspaper coverage of Nugent's car crash and a concert review. No cue sheet or disc scans. Thanks once again to Sam Eliot's Mustache for providing a rip of the original vinyl for me to clean up.
https://mega.nz/file/zMgURBiT#hvE1_N13RMYNoIWWHyJ1qeSbB66duRdAutfSMo1M13Y
Okay, Gang! Let's talk radio censorship on the American airwaves. I'm hoping our U.K. contingent will join in and give us their perspective, too, as the BBC did something similar.
Okay, Gang! Let's talk radio censorship on the American airwaves. I'm hoping our U.K. contingent will join in and give us their perspective, too, as the BBC did something similar.
Here in the U.S. of A., we've had the Seven Dirty Words. I shall shade them slightly: sh*t, f*ck, c*nt, a**hole, p*ss, c*cksucker, and m*therfucker. Sorry, that last one is "motherf*cker." Or at least those were the words that comedian George Carlin put in his famous 1972 comedy routine about censorship. There are plenty of other words that are avoided. What's avoided isn't always clear, and geography matters. If you say t*ts on the air in Manhattan it's not the same thing as broadcasting it in Muleshoe, Texas. Syndication took the words everywhere.
What IS clear is syndicated rock radio show producers didn't want controversy. They didn't want program directors skipping shows, they hated offending advertisers with products next to aural filth, and they didn't want angry parents calling the station. The fear of filth ran all the way up to powerful parents in Washington: Tipper Gore helped form the PRMC just a few years after this concert.
But what do you do when rock stars misbehave? Do you drop offending songs from the broadcast because of one word?
There are several remedies. There's the ham-fisted hard edit: cut the word out. That's obvious. Music has rhythm, and you drop a beat or three and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
You can BEEP. You put an electronic blip over the word. That's a standard solution, and often used on live broadcasts, where the "seven second delay" keeps offending words from slipping out. (Editor’s Note: Jeez, what a job...you have to listen with your finger poised on the beep button and you better not miss your chance to keep the kids from hearing ****.)
But there's another trick, and it's a bit of a weird choice. Back-masking. You reverse the word or phrase. It keeps the timing right, but boy, does it stick out.
Which leads us to the Nuge and this show. Ted lets the profanity rip five times in "Bound and Gagged" and once in "Free-for-All" with words you can't say on the radio. The Source fixed them. They're backmasked.
How they did this in 1982 is lost on me. They're dealing with very small snippets of sound... less than half of a second. Did they cut the tape and splice it? These days it's easy to do in Audacity: you mark the start and end of the word, highlight it with your mouse, click the Effects drop-down menu, hit "Special" and click "Reverse."
Easy, huh? So, that led to a small internal conversation. My goal has been to give you guys an exact duplicate of the show as a starting point. You can drop commercials, delete announcers, throw away promo spots...it's your choice. What I've prepared is exactly what's on the discs. This archival approach leads me to think I shouldn't engage in any changes to the broadcast. I don't try to "remaster" it.
But I also am a curious monkey: what is Ted saying? I want to know; I can't help myself. When they reverse one word in a song, it's half a second of "what was that?" and back to the music. With Ted cursing five times in one song, it keeps poking at you. What? What just happened? I want to reverse the reversed word and reveal the hidden word.
Plus, it's not just a record of what was broadcast, there's the issue of preserving the actual performance. I'm undoing an edit that was placed on top of the stage performance. So... what to do?
Solution: you can have both versions. I've prepared the broadcast "as is" in a "Censored" version, and then an "Uncensored" version with the words restored (to the best of my ability).
Performance: Ted does his usual Motor City Motormouth Rock Glossolalia: "AWWL right, how ya doin' my friends, I said I know what I gotta do now baby, I know what y'all gotta do, I know what I gotta do, I know what we all gotta do, I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it, I said I gotta rock, you gotta rock, we all gotta rock, Deeetroyeet!"

If you consult your English-Gibberish dictionary, you'll find this translates as "we're going to play rock music." And Ted does just that, to his credit.
Ted crashed his 1972 Ford Bronco after the front axle broke and he hit a tree the night before (Thursday Sept. 2, 1982). He missed that night's show in Lansing due to head and facial injuries. But Ted's a trooper, and I don't hear any signs of brain damage in his guitar playing, and his stage patter sounds like that even when he hasn't hit his head.
Commercials: the Leon Redbone "Budweiser" interests me in that it's a sixty second spot, and he lets the old-timey music run for forty-five seconds without a word about the beer. The clarinet solo is longer than the product pitch. Come to think of it, there's a clarinet solo on an ad in a Ted Nugent show...wouldn't it make more sense to have a hard rock band doing the jingle?
One of the Levi's commercials is a bit odd. It starts out "in the last known photo of the Dalton gang, Bob and Grat Dalton are both wearing Levi's original blue jeans." They claim this is because the pants are "honest and long-lasting." What's odd is "we'd like to think the Daltons gave their choice a lot of thought, but they probably had other things on their minds."
The last known picture of the Dalton Gang has them stacked dead in a row in Coffeyville, Kansas, shot after a botched bank robbery. I don't know if Levi's knew this, but there's a sly tone in the announcer's voice that makes me think they knew exactly what was on the Dalton’s minds in their last known photo: nothing, they were dead.
![]() |
| What was on their minds? |
The Dalton knuckleheads weren't known for giving anything a lot of thought. They ended up on display because they tried to rob two banks at the same time, splitting the gang of five into groups of two and three, and picked a town where they were known. It didn't end well. Back then the local hardware store was like an armory and within minutes each small group faced a dozen men armed with Winchester rifles, shotguns, and pistols.
You can read about it here: http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/daltons.htm
I hope one of Our Beloved Audience can help me here...who is it singing that "Blues" version of the Budweiser jingle?
UPDATE: Due to the large file size on the above download link, I'm making this available as two separate downloads. The artwork and text files are duplicate in each download.





This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI worked as an engineer in the 1980's at a NYC recording studio and recorded a bunch of jungles. 8 am calls for Budweiser and Leon Redbone was one of them. Leon did not sleep the night before and his voice never sounded better! Of course a few nips of the hip flask behind the piano didn't hurt either! Thanks for this show and the cool backstory and info.
ReplyDeleteWait! What? ex_mixer! Were you there for this specific commercial?! Do you recall what other bands (or singers) that you recorded?
ReplyDeleteI worked with Leon Redbone on a few Bud commercials as well as a slew of others. Lou Rawls, Luther Vandross, Letterman's band Paul Shaffer, Will Lee, Anton Fig, SNL house band half the musicians from the original Blues Brithers movie all lived in NY and did radio Jungles.. man it was the who's who of NYC Music. Bud, Bud lite, Heineken, Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, American Airlines. KFC, OMG - working in a studio we all wanted to be on Album sessions, but the jingles paid the bills. I would come in at 7 am for a 9 am Heineken Spot until 12PM. Then be asked to fill in for a sick engineer on an Aerosmith overdub session or Stevie Ray Vaughn guitar overdubs later that night. Stevie only ordered food from Virgil's BBQ in Times Square (w44st), he said it reminded him of Texas and the only place he ate at in NYC, That's where I go for Brisket to this date still open!!
DeleteAnd what studio?
ReplyDeleteStudios were Mediasound and Hit Factory on w 54st. All from 1983 - 1992. I also worked with - just a few - Scorpions, B-52's, Peter Wolf, Paul Simon, The Ramones, Talking Heads, Jane's Addiction, Bon Jovi, Madonna, Huey Lewis, Fabulous T-Birds,Billy Ocean, Whitney Houston... many more - most credited some not.. have about a dozen Gold records from this work.. haven't made a cent in over 25 years from any of it!! LOL. Dried up and have not looked back...
DeleteWeird story: Ted's Atlanta stop on this tour was my first concert. Dad took me. I already had a cold, but he insisted that we walk in the misting rain down the street from the Fox to the Varsity. Bad idea. Anyway, we see the show, it's great, I get offered a joint (which, tragically, I declined because of the aforementioned Dad), I come home and the next morning I've got a 104-degree fever, am delirious, and turns out I've got the double-pneumonia blues and not a single cat scratch in sight. To this day, I blame Ted. But I'm deliriously happy to revisit the Night Before (or a close approximation thereof). Thanks!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great story, Aleck. I'm slightly older; first concert was 1971 and I was taken to a Harry Belafonte concert in New Jersey by one o' my uncles. I cannot, under any circumstances, imagine going to a concert with my father. He thought music had gone to hell in 1955 with that Elvis creep. I didn't even see a movie with him after the age of 10 because modern movies were crap.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I go to movies with my son, and took him to his first concert when he was 16: Radio Birdman on their first U.S. tour. :)
merci
ReplyDeleteMan, I'd trade Nuge for Birdman for first concert in a heartbeat! Good on ya. My pops (biker, Nuge fan) was the main reason we went, but in those pre-driving days he carted me to all kindsa stuff he had NO interest in, from '82 Pat Benatar to Document-era R.E.M. He hated every second, but at least it's not my wife's tale of her conservative military parents taking her to see RATT/Scorpions and them getting puked on by some drunk teen.
ReplyDeleteAgain, great stories...Yeah, I'd pick Radio Birdman over Ted, too. Back in the day I wouldn't have even considered Ted; we were snobby punk rockers and anyone playing a midsized hall was "suspect." If it's popular, it can't be any good, right? Plus, there was this ridiculous thing where subcultures did NOT cross lines; I sure didn't want any of my punk friends know I liked Johnny Cash records.
ReplyDeleteGood for your dad for driving you to see those bands, too. My kids are now in their early 30s and I not taking them to see MORE concerts. We took my grandson to his first concert last summer (Los Lobos) and being 11, he didn't have too much interest...but he got his first concert shirt and some good barbeque. If my dad had taken me to see someone like Count Basie I would have been similarly unimpressed but now...years later...I'd have loved it. My dad didn't try, though, so hell-yeah! to your dad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ienVoaUm8mw
ReplyDeleteThe plot thickens...The version of this show I already had also includes a killer twelve-minute "Great White Buffalo" that is not on this recording. Also, although you reversed the curse words, I am wondering about the word you edited out both times in "Bound and Gagged" when he says "Kick some (Reversed) a**." Thanks so much for all the work you do to bring us these shows.
ReplyDeleteHi, Unknown....the edits were the best I could do....but I think there were several points where a word was cut out of the tape...that is...based on the "flow" of the words, it sounds like there's an edit. I couldn't do anything about those, as I think they trimmed the offensive word right out of the tape.
ReplyDeleteAlso...for some of these NBC Source shows, there were two broadcasts: often a Starfleet Blair satellite broadcast, and then on a later date, the syndicated Source show.
ReplyDeleteMy guess in regards to the Great White Buffalo track, it was edited out of the Source broadcast vinyl due to time constraints. Source shows ran 60, 75 and 90 minutes, with commercials for the most part. But thats just a guess on my part.
DeleteAnd while just doing some more research.....Motor City Madhouse/Drum Solo/Motor City Madhouse reprise is missing. Those 2 tracks were part of a live broadcast on 101FM in Lansing.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are so awesome! Draftervoi, you did an awesome job with the edits. I figured that other word may have been edited out of the show before you even got your hands on it because my previous copy is clearly from a different source. Anyway, the work you all did on this is killer and thank you.
ReplyDelete