Austin City Limits
Sept. 28, 1991
01 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - Canned Music
02 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - Where's The Money
03 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - I Feel Like Singing
04 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - Milk-Shakin’ Mama
05 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - I Scare Myself
06 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - "Long Came A Viper
07 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - Payday Blues
08 Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks - Evenin' Breeze
09 Dan Hicks & The Acoustic Warriors - Up! Up! Up!
10 Dan Hicks & The Acoustic Warriors - Shootin' Straight
11 Dan Hicks & The Acoustic Warriors - Willie
12 Dan Hicks & The Acoustic Warriors - Doin' It
One more from Đ®åⒻṬëŕṽøï's box of tapes received in trade in the 1990s.
This one has Mr. Dan Hicks reuniting with his classic Hot Licks line-up, featuring violin virtuoso Sid Page, and Lickettes Maryanne Price and Naomi Ruth Eisenberg, bass player Jaime Leopold, with John Girton (guitar) added to the line-up.
The last four songs were with his band at the time, The Acoustic Warriors.
I actually met Ms. Eisenberg one afternoon over in the Sunset District at my drummer's apartment. Yes, shameless name-dropping is not beneath me.
I tracked down an article from the Austin American Statesman of September 26, 1991, and that's the lone piece o' junk in the Artwork file.
If you've never heard Dan Hicks, he's an interesting anomaly of the San Francisco ballroom scene. He was in the Charlatans, the band that set-up the "San Francisco scene" with their residency at the Red Dog Inn in Virginia City, Nevada in 1965. I made the "pilgrimage" to the Red Dog last summer for the first time.
In terms of distance and time, it's as if Merseybeat started at Bournemouth in 1961.
Anyway...the Charlatans didn't amount to jack-squat, they're not really worth tracking down and listening to, but good for them for starting a "scene." What's odd is that Dan Hicks was the drummer for the Charlatans...and his new band didn't have a drummer.


Thank you, this should be very interesting!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fun one -- thank you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Thanks so much for this Dan Hicks show, Voodoo! I first saw it on TV years ago and even VHS'ed it but lost the tape through the years. Your recording sounds great and I hope you will keep your eyes open for more early Hicks shows. He is missed. Thank you! - SteveR, Philadelphia
ReplyDelete