Looking for Something?

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING??
Never Been Here Before?

Check The Right Sidebar


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Follow The Sign To Where...

Sunday, February 16, 2025

Lou Reed / Old Waldorf, San Francisco, CA March 22, 1978 KSAN broadcast

Lou Reed 
Old Waldorf
San Francisco, CA
March 22, 1978

KSAN-FM Broadcast

01 Lou Reed - Gimme Gimme Good Times
02 Lou Reed - Satellite of Love
03 Lou Reed - Leave Me Alone
04 Lou Reed - Lisa Says
05 Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
06 Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side
07 Lou Reed - Sweet Jane
08 Lou Reed - Rock and Roll
09 Announcer - KSAN Outro


This is off of a 1st generation cassette that I got in trade.  I think it's off of a reel to reel recorded off the air, but I'm not 100% sure of that.  It's not sourced from the download from Guitars 101...although to my ears, they sound about the same. 

If you've got that, you may not need this one.  However, to sweeten the deal and dangle some bait in front of you, I've got newspapers!  Reviews of the show from the Berkeley Gazette and the San Francisco Examiner, plus a print ad for the Old Waldorf!  

The print ad gives me one of those "WTF" moments, as I see that Ian Dury was the opening act for Lou Reed.  Why didn't I go to this show?



14 comments:

  1. Great! Looking forward to this! I just missed this tour - I arrived in SF in the late summer of 1978. I did catch Lou's "Growing Up In Public" Tour in 1980 - $9 !! . I recall a very rowdy crowd and a few nasty exchanges between Lou and a few drunks. Lou handled them with aplomb, smirks and pointed retorts ... - I found what may have been the setlist online -
    Vicious
    Sweet Jane
    I'm Waiting for the Man
    Heroin
    Rock & Roll
    Growing Up in Public
    The Power of Positive Drinking
    Encore:
    Street Hassle

    I remember the band was tight and it felt like it was over way too soon! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, ex_mixer! Did you live in S.F. in 1978, or just visit? I was in Berkeley that year, moved to SF in Sept. 1979, ended up flippin' omelets at the Cliff House as a cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, draftervoi! I had this show, but not the clippings, they add things. I'm not sure what, but *things*, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Anonymous! Yeah, on the clippings, I figure, "Why not?" It gives Our Beloved Audience something to read while they're listening to the show. Plus, jeez...it gives us a reminder of how weird the culture can be at times. Ann Murray, Lou Reed, Hawkwind, Esther Phillips? All at the same club, within a few weeks of each other? It's a reminder that the Past is a weird place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As ‘anon' suggests always worth checking out draftervoi’s ‘things’ . . . thanks drafter! [Wonder what Ian (Dury) thought of opening for Uncle Lou!?!?]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks GREAT... I hate to be a nuisance, but is there anyway you could please re-up this to some other site other than meagfile? It drops off before I get to the end, tried many times. No go for me. Thanx a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Timmy, write to me at draftervoi@gmail.com, and I'll see if I can come up with a solution for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Timmy! Part two! Try this, it's a WeTransfer link (I think...). I've never used this before so let me know if it does or does not work: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/6fb42017e5ac0cacff613b8c61fc77a620250217193726/03944d?t_exp=1740080246&t_lsid=210a71e0-aa58-42d9-aa52-90e420610348&t_network=link&t_rid=Z29vZ2xlLW9hdXRoMnwxMDU0MDM5MjEyNDEzMDk3MjMyMDc=&t_s=download_link&t_ts=1739821046&utm_campaign=TRN_TDL_05&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&trk=TRN_TDL_05

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi draftervoi- I moved to SF in mid 1978 and lived in The Potrero Hill and Mission district until 1983- then back to the East Coast. I slung Pasta and Chianti at tourists in The North Beach Restaurant while I plugged away at my budding recording career. I have memories of eating at the counter at Little Joe's on Columbus and Broadway. Browsing books at City Lights, where on one afternoon I saw the 4 members of the Cars perusing the aisles.... I asked one of them what the heck man?! He said they were n town for a gig at the Old Waldorf! Bammo - I jumped on my Yamaha "Donor Cycle" to the box office and snagged one of the last tickets! Man those were the days indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was over in the Richmond; the last building on Cabrillo before the empty pits of the former Playland-At-The-Beach. I'm sure I ate at North Beach Pizza at least once during that time.

    By the way...the Cars at the Old Waldorf KSAN-FM show is in our archives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! That WETRANSFER link worked perfectly. MANY THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete