01 Announcer - Intro
02 Richard Thompson - Man In Need
03 Richard Thompson - Both Ends Burning
04 Richard Thompson - Tear Stained Letter
05 Richard Thompson - You Can't Sit Down
06 Richard Thompson - Devonside
07 Richard Thompson - Hoots Mon
08 Richard Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights
09 Richard Thompson - Night Comes In
10 Richard Thompson - Hand of Kindness
11 Richard Thompson - Alberta
12 Richard Thompson - Band intros
13 Richard Thompson - Wall Of Death
14 Richard Thompson - Pennsylvania 6-5000
15 Richard Thompson - Don't Let A Thief
16 Richard Thompson - Two Left Feet
17 Richard Thompson - Let's Talk About Us
18 Richard Thompson - Great Balls of Fire (fades and cuts off)
02 Richard Thompson - Man In Need
03 Richard Thompson - Both Ends Burning
04 Richard Thompson - Tear Stained Letter
05 Richard Thompson - You Can't Sit Down
06 Richard Thompson - Devonside
07 Richard Thompson - Hoots Mon
08 Richard Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights
09 Richard Thompson - Night Comes In
10 Richard Thompson - Hand of Kindness
11 Richard Thompson - Alberta
12 Richard Thompson - Band intros
13 Richard Thompson - Wall Of Death
14 Richard Thompson - Pennsylvania 6-5000
15 Richard Thompson - Don't Let A Thief
16 Richard Thompson - Two Left Feet
17 Richard Thompson - Let's Talk About Us
18 Richard Thompson - Great Balls of Fire (fades and cuts off)
Another tape that I got in trade. Unknown generation...but it's low, not much in the way of hiss.
The date of the show is confirmed by a newspaper clipping (included).
The last song ("Great Balls of Fire") is slowly faded out, then cuts off before the fade is complete.
I've checked set lists I found on the Intertoobs, and "Great Balls" was the last song, so we're not missing anything else after it.
There were two sets at Tut's that night, and there's supposedly also an early set that was also broadcast by WXRT-FM.
Rock and Roll Geography
As you know, I run searches to find faint footprints from the past are out there on the Internet. Searches for common names like "Richard Thompson" turn up a lot of results; he was married in Plano, TX, he's on the Memorial Hospital board, his car hit a tree...all of them not OUR Richard Thompson.
Rock and Roll Geography
As you know, I run searches to find faint footprints from the past are out there on the Internet. Searches for common names like "Richard Thompson" turn up a lot of results; he was married in Plano, TX, he's on the Memorial Hospital board, his car hit a tree...all of them not OUR Richard Thompson.
Searches for "Tut's" are problematic as the Optical Character Recognition programs have trouble with blurry scans and yellowing newsprint, returning results for the abbreviation "Tues".
I tried looking for the address of Tut's at 959 W. Belmont, and looked on Google Maps...and was gobsmacked to recognize the building. I've never been to Chicago but hey, that's now Blaze Pizza, and that used to be the Quiet Knight club that turned up on our Randy Newman and Bob Marley shows already posted here. While I didn't find anything with those searches, I did turn up a review from a few days prior. It's from across the state line in Wisconsin and had a list of band members.



Thank you!
ReplyDeleteInterestlng. "Tuts Chicago" without apostrophe hits annd Facebook fan page. "Howard Greenblatt" + "Tuts" or "Richard Thompson" also hits. ex:https://pennyblackmusic.co.uk/Home/DetailsMobile?id=26346
ReplyDeleteMore recent foto of RT in vintage Tuts shirt. My guess @40th ann
Hi, Sentabi....yes, you're right. I was referring to the searches on newspapers.com. There, the broader the search and the more common the names, the more likely you get too many results to easily sort through.
ReplyDeleteWow- Thank you for this gift! As a long time fan of RT's, I can't believe I never saw him live during this time period. I highly recommend his book "Beeswing" review here - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/apr/10/beeswing-by-richard-thompson-review-beyond-fairport-convention. Can't wait to listen! Thank you as always for the news clippings and other time capsules, they bring you back and frame the experience perfectly. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteHi, Ex-mixer! I've got about twenty Richard Thompson shows that I can post over the next year; some of them are lower quality but none of 'em are terrible. Like you, I just plain missed Thompson in the 70s. I didn't discover him until "Hand of Kindness" in 1983. And I didn't see him live until this century.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear you like the clippings, too!