Looking for Something?

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING??
Never Been Here Before?

Check The Right Sidebar


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Follow The Sign To Where...

Monday, February 17, 2020

Moody Blues - Superstars In Concert #93-37 - Apollo Theatre 1986


Moody Blues
The Apollo, Oxford, England
concert date December 3, 1986
Westwood One Superstars In Concert #93-37
for broadcast the week of September 6, 1993

01. Intro - Jim Ellis
02. Gemini Dream
03. The Voice

04. Rock 'N" Roll Over You
05. Tuesday Afternoon
06. Your Wildest Dream
07. The Story In Your Eyes
08. The Other Side Of Life
09. Isn't Life Strange
10. Veteran Cosmic Rocker
11. I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock and Roll Band)
12. Question
13. Nights In White Satin
14. Outro - Jim Ellis


Both announcer Jim Ellis and the cue sheet date the Oxford Apollo show as 1987.  They're wrong.  This concert was not recorded in 1987, but on December 3, 1986.

There's also a BBC Transcription Services "BBC In Concert #407" LP, sourced from the same show.  That was distributed for broadcast in 1987; perhaps that's the source of the error.

In Concert #407 has two tracks added, "It May Be A Fire" and "New Horizons," and drops "Veteran Cosmic Rocker," "I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock and Roll Band), "Isn't Life Strange," and "Question."

A silver CD bootleg of the Westwood One tracks was released in Europe in the mid-1990s under the title "VCR" (short for Veteran Cosmic Rocker, not Video Cassette Recorder) on the HallMark label as HallMark ‎– HM 024.

Westwood One repeated tracks from Oxford 1986 as part of a "compilation" show, combined with tracks from San Diego 1994 on Superstars In Concert #'s 94-47, 95-31, 96-25, 97-23, 02-39, 04-09, 06-09, 07-30, and 09-10.  These shows dropped several tracks as compared to this broadcast, which was never repeated with the full twelve tracks included here.

Ray Thomas's introduction to "Veteran Cosmic Rocker" says they're about to play the three part suite that ends the Long Distance Voyager album: "Painted Smile," the poem "Reflective Smile," and "Veteran Cosmic Rocker."  The first two are missing, edited out, and only "Veteran Cosmic Rocker" is present.

300 dpi scans of the cue sheet and CDs.  Flac files of wavs.  Sourced directly from the Westwood One discs. Commercials have been edited out.

https://mega.nz/#!SYxx1bzb!5nQ5pOX_YZ_o8veNJ5mJvtLGZIm8JY9JlRpuZ8zuqJQ

4 comments:

  1. Thanks a million! - Stinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Stinky. I'm going to try and track down the other two tracks that were issued ("It May Be A Fire" and "New Horizons.) They're on the BBC transcription disc (those things are EXPENSIVE on Ebay...) but also on three of the later Westwood One compilation shows. If I succeed, we'll be able to build a more complete version of this show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your site is the best man! So much good stuff! I've been trading for years, so many sites really don't have much that I don't have...but you always seem to have tons of little obscure gems! I love you site, and everything about it. I'd like to donate if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Irish66nd. I've been trading since I discovered in the mid-80s that other people were recording live radio broadcasts. Most of what I put up is sourced from cassettes I recorded, but I also digitize syndicated radio shows. Like you, I always love to find something that's not commonly circulated. Not to pick on 'em, but I don't need another Springsteen audience tape. We have multiple authors here, so I can't speak for the others... but I do this for a love of music and don't need the donation. Make sure you buy the bands/artists music, go see their lives shows (and overtip the cocktail waitress and bartenders!). :)

    ReplyDelete