Looking for Something?

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING??
Never Been Here Before?

Check The Right Sidebar


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Follow The Sign To Where...

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Santana - Westwood One In Concert #93-16

Santana
Westwood One In Concert #93-16
for broadcast the week of April 12, 1993

01. Intro - Doug Podell
02. Black Magic Woman -> Gypsy Queen *
03. Dance Sister Dance *
04. Intro to 1977 Hammersmith tracks - Doug Podell
05. Oye Como Va -> El Pito (I'll Never Go Back To Georgia) **
06. Europa **
07. Break and intro to 1992 Tijuana tracks
08. Right On ***
09. Life Is For Living ***
10. Samba Ba Ti ***
11. Agua que va caer ***
12. Free All The People (South Africa) ***
13. Toussaint L'Overture ***
14. Jingo ***
15. Outro - Doug Podell

* Beacon Theatre, New York May 7, 1976
** Hammersmith Odeon, London December 15, 1976
*** Bullring By The Sea, Tijuana March 21 or 22, 1992

As is often the case, we've a few musical mysteries to solve.  This one isn't so much a mystery as a series of errors, but hey, me n' Scooby Doo will take what we can get these days.  As I'm no expert when it comes to Santana, please feel free to toss in your dos centavos in the comments section when I get something wrong.

In Concert #93-16 is a compilation of tracks from three different shows. First up are two tracks from New York City's Beacon Theatre, recorded on May 7, 1976.  No problems there.

The second segment is announced as being from "1977's concert at the Hammersmith Odeon." A quick check of the Almighty Internet shows there was no Santana concert at that venue in 1977...but there was a show there on December 15, 1976.  There was a London show in 1977 at the Crystal Palace Bowl. So...is the date wrong, or the venue?  I'm going with wrong date.

The second problem is the cue sheet lists the songs as "Oye Como Va" followed by "Maria Caracoles." That's definitely "Oye Como Va," but song segues into what I believe to be a cover of Joe Cuba's "El Pito (I'll Never Go Back To Georgia)" before returning to "Oye Como Va."  The next song (I think) is "Europa."  No "Maria Caricoles" that I can hear at all.  Give it a listen and let me know if I'm missing anything.

The rest of the show is from Tijuana.  No mysteries here, just a minor spelling problem on the cue sheet with "aqua" instead of "agua."

The cue sheet was sliced up by a former owner so that they could stuff it into a CD case.

The Tijuana tracks were also broadcast by Westwood One on a Superstars In Concert Show #92-25, with several additional tracks from the show added.

You get 300 dpi scans of the mutilated cue sheet and the discs.  Flac files of wavs.

 https://mega.nz/#!Sc5RgJhR!2U9-Cbvi2KugET03yLPd3EGlQY7CZG_1205qWrK4vqw

No comments:

Post a Comment