Dave Alvin with Kelly Joe Phelps
Cowell Theater, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA
"West Coast Live" KALW-FM
June 29, 1996
Cowell Theater, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA
"West Coast Live" KALW-FM
June 29, 1996
01 Joe Hughes, Sedge Thomson - Intro
02 Sedge Thomson & Dave Alvin - Interview
03 Dave Alvin - King of California
04 Sedge Thomson & Dave Alvin - Interview
05 Dave Alvin - Dry River
06 Sedge Thomson & Kelly Joe Phelps - Interview
07 Kelly Joe Phelps - Nobody's Fault But Mine
08 Sedge Thomson - Outro
02 Sedge Thomson & Dave Alvin - Interview
03 Dave Alvin - King of California
04 Sedge Thomson & Dave Alvin - Interview
05 Dave Alvin - Dry River
06 Sedge Thomson & Kelly Joe Phelps - Interview
07 Kelly Joe Phelps - Nobody's Fault But Mine
08 Sedge Thomson - Outro
So...it's summer. I'm working on tapes our pal Sam Eliot's Mustache sent from back east. But as long as I've got the ol' tape deck set up on my grandson's desk (he's up in Seattle...), I might as well rummage through some of the oddball tapes I've got in boxes in the basement. Most of it is turning out to be off the air copies of syndicated broadcasts...things that are not really masters...eventually we'll track down the actual records and get a pre-FM for you. But there's also a bunch of "mystery tapes."
The label on the cassette said only 6/29/96 with no other information. I found a two-hour "West Coast Live" show with two songs by Dave Alvin and one by Kelly Joe Phelps, plus lots of talk talk talk. Two hours boils down to three songs...no wonder I never played this again.
I edited it down to just the music and trimmed the "intro" to refer only to the musical guests.
I ran a search and came up with the SF Examiner listing for the original recording date, which confirms the June 29 date...but also found the show was carried a week later by two other stations. Also of note...the show took place at 10:00 AM in the morning; rock and rollers are not (or were not...) up at that hour! No wonder I only have one or two West Coast Live shows recorded!
Flac files of .wavs, from a master Maxell XL-II. Sounds great!



No comments:
Post a Comment